Monday, September 20, 2010

Day 03 – Your parents, in great detail

It's funny, but I have recently had a lot of people ask me about my parents and where they met. If I understand correctly, they met while at the University of Utah, in their student ward. My mom was assigned to give a talk at church one weekend, which my dad missed. Back in the day, he used to sleep in so long, he would barely get to Sunday School on time, and then attend the next ward's Sacrament. I think I inherited his no-nonsense sleep patterns. I too, can not wake up even if an earthquake hit. My dad's roommate, Hugh, told my dad about this really pretty Korean girl and it piqued my dad's interest. The rest, as they say, is history. I think it it was weird they never met before, because as a grad student, my dad was teaching a class next door to one of my mom's psychology classes. Also, he served a Korean mission, and no doubt had his eye on a Korean chick.



They also had many weird dates. My mom sat through many dinners at restaurants alone because my dad would spend half the date throwing up. He said it happened to him every time he was with a pretty girl. I'm just glad I didn't inherit the gene. Of nervousness. On another occasion, my dad forgot the tickets to a Utah Jazz game, and my mom and dad were forced to travel upstream to get back to his apartment to retrieve them. Sometimes, I wonder why my mom continued to go out with him after so many mishaps. I'm just glad she did.



My mom is a very intelligent person. She can outsource any insurance agent and knows everything there is to know about investing and money. All her life, she has taken care of her parents, and continues to do so to this day. My mom can handle any crisis, but she is also subsequently over-protective. I am thankful that she cares so much, but I think my mom has a hard time letting go. I know it was difficult for her to see me move out and start school.

I think my mom feels trapped here in Utah, and I feel sad for her. I inherited her strong desire to travel and see the world, and I feel like I am starting to understand her frustration with being here. She has always had a pull toward the ocean. Whenever we visit the ocean as a family, my mom is a different person. I remember when I was little, she would take off on her own and go to Monterrey. Frankly, it scared me back then, because I could see her never coming back. But she always did.



My dad is the most positive person I know. He lives life with the passion he teaches people about, and it truly is inspirational. Sometimes, he is oblivious to a fault, but he is always well-meaning. He is as curious as a child, and is often left behind in grocery stores.

My dad is very giving and doesn't care about money. He will always err on the side of being too generous, which is something I hope to emulate. He is also extremely stubborn, although it's a trait I don't often see. For the most part, my dad is very easy going, unless it comes to dis-respect. He loves all people, and relates well to everyone, which is perhaps why he is good at what he does.

1 comment:

  1. your parents are super cool. i especially love your dad's usu t-shirt in this last shot. ;)

    ReplyDelete