Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Day 17 – Your favorite memory, in great detail

Appropriately enough (it's the first day of a new semester), my favorite memory probably has to be the first day of second grade. I love school and I love learning, even now. I think second grade was so exciting to me because for the first time in my life, I was learning something I didn't already know. I was at a new school that year because my mom had decided to put me in the accelerated learning program (ALP) and pull me out of the neighborhood school.

I didn't really know anyone at school, but it still has always stuck out in my mind. I think it was the smell of a fresh start, and more importantly, the scent of new school supplies. I don't remember what happened this day, but I do remember having my very own metal desk to put said school supplies in. The chairs were old, but sturdy. I was wearing my favorite vest my mom had made for me. And the curriculum overview really excited me.

My teacher was Mrs. Lane. She was a jovial, pleasantly plump lady who was also allegedly allergic to the sun. On the days she was in charge of monitoring recess, she walked around underneath a colorful and large umbrella. I loved her because of her interesting hands-on teaching method and structure. To this day, I am all about structure. Every day, we would go over the day's agenda, which I reveled in. I can't really explain it, but  there is something reassuring and comforting to have a plan for the day.

I should probably have a plan for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment