Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Day 20 – This month, in great detail

This month has been insane, just like I knew it would be. I am enrolled in three communications classes, including  a media lab. Even though I can handle the subject material like nobody's business, I was not prepared for the... public relations aspect. I discovered on my first day of the semester (circa Jan 3) that I was expected to be on time, if not early, to class and exact about my deadlines, because that is how the  industry goes (the boldness is an exact quote). All my life, I have been very good at that, so I figured I would be fine.

Not so.

Somewhere between second grade and now, I have become quite lazy and not as detail oriented as I used to be. I am lucky these days to make it to class on time, and sometimes I just flat out forget that I need to turn my paper in online in addition to a paper copy in class. I have missed far too many iclicker (attendance) quizzes, and I am sorely behind in my reading. I guess I could blame it on my age and its inevitable mind fogginess. But. I am only twenty, so I'm not real sure that excuse would float.

Anyway. Point is. My moleskine is now officially attached to my hip. I would write more, but, well, I am about  to be late for another class. Til next time.

UPDATE - Note, this is slightly off color
Also, as a preface, this experience is pretty much the story of my life. I have another story to share in the next post to demonstrate. While it was happening, it didn't even surprise me, because This Is Just What Happens To Me.

After my lesson in Friday, I decided to take a shower today, even though I would be pushing it. After quickly relieving myself I jumped into the shower (Can I just say I hate hard-boiled eggs? Not only do I hate the taste, but my body does everything it can to get  it out of my system as fast as possible. You  may wonder why I ate the thing in the first place. And frankly, I don't really  know). After a respectable amount of time, I turned off the water, but I was confused why I could still hear the sound of a steady flow of water. In horror, I realized the toliet was overflowing at an alarming rate. Naked and frantic, I tried to turn the emergency knob to stop the flow, but it was jammed (STUPID OLD APARTMENT THAT IS OLD. AND BREAKING. AND RUSTING). I was freaking out so much I couldn't even decide which article of clothing to put on first, and to make matters worse, my window blinds were open, so probably, someone even witnessed this blessed event.

As I stood helplessly by, the water flowed into the vanity area, and was nearing the carpet. I jammed some mismatched clothing on and called the complex office, like a near death victim dialing 911. They quickly dispatched a man with technical abilities and he calmly walked in and lifted the toliet cover where he proceeded to stick his hand in the disgustingly rusted...insides. He assured me all was well and left me practically ankle-deep in the mess. So roommates, if you are reading this, this is why there are like five towels dripping wet and hanging in the shower. I will wash them for you.

1 comment:

  1. And now you know how your mom and dad always knew what to do with something like an overflowing toilet. We all let it happen once and then know "Hey! I will just reach my hand into the rusty CLEAN tank and pull up the stopper and then I won't have any dirty towels to wash!" Life lesson learned. Sorry you couldn't learn from watching a roommate.

    ReplyDelete