Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Day 08 – A moment, in great detail

One of the most striking moments of my childhood was when my sister Sam and I were harassed by a pair of giant Great Danes on our street.

Except instead of being friendly and somewhat approachable like the white dogs pictured here, they were huge black dogs that I swear were the spawn of Satan. It didn’t help that their names were Zeus and Hades.

Most of the time, they were tied up in their garage with long 10-ft ropes, which often times barely seemed to keep them at bay. I know what you're thinking... isn't that the distance to the sidewalk?  Yes, yes it was.

While walking home from the bus stop, I was forced to walk past those terrors that barked like mad every time someone passed by. On my first day of kindergarten, my mom made me promise that I would walk on the other side of the street every time I passed by the dogs. Which I still do to this day.

Anyway, my sister Sam and I were walking home from a neighbor's house which also unfortunately meant a walk past those stupid dogs. Me being the brilliant older sister that I am proposed we walk from the backside as in through everybody's backyard, which, back in those days, was not gated. As I was congratulating myself on the wisdom I had exhibited, we heard the familiar bark accompanied by a sudden drop of the stomach.

It was Zeus and  Hades all right and they were inexplicably in the back yard. One glance at those dogs and I bolted home without looking back. I practically ran into the door in my haste to be in the realms of safety when my mom asked me where my little sister was.

Puzzled, I realized she had fallen behind and proceeded to tell my mom what had happened. I hadn't even finished the story when she ran out of the house. I felt terrible. I was positive those dogs had eaten my sister and that it was all my fault.

Turns out, Sam had tripped and fallen in her haste to get away and started crying. She was walking slowly home amidst crazy dog barking when my mom found her, shaken but fine.

Let me tell you: I got in huge trouble. I have always felt terrible about leaving her and ever since, I have been careful to know exactly where my sisters are and ensure they are safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment