Sunday, October 10, 2010

Day 11 – Your siblings, in great detail

Luckily for everyone out there (read: my sisters) I just finished killing my pointer finger editing what feels like a million pictures. (For more information, please see my website or my Facebook)This is reason number number 10 why I hate my laptop. . This also means much appropriate visual fodder in this post.  


I'm the oldest of four girls. Growing up, I used to compare us to "Little Women," my favorite book at the time. Except I always just assumed I was Jo instead of Meg. Ha. 


More and more, I really appreciate my sisters, especially since I no longer live at home. The other night, Sam, Saige and I went out to dinner and it was really nice to "hang out" with them. I'm looking forward to the future when we all go out to monthly lunches as cute little old ladies or something along those lines. 



This is Samantha. She is 17. She is in high school. She also plays the violin, if you couldn't tell. When we were little, I remember frequently referring to her as my "best buddy." Later, Saige and Shenae adopted a similar title between each other: "Best Sissies." Samantha has had to deal with me bossing her around for pretty much forever.  Also when we were little, I would always assume the role of the protagonist (i.e. Pocahontas) and she would always be my sidekick (i.e. Meeko) when we played around. This would include jumping off semi-high surfaces to re-create the beginning scene of said movie, among other things. She also co-operated and was a supporting proponent for when I decided to make all the neighborhood kids perform a stage version (on the basketball court) of "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs."  (If you couldn't tell, I was a little bossy as a child.) 



I was the one who came up with the half-baked ideas, and she was the one who entertained them. Sometimes, I'm not sure if she knew better and indulged me, or really thought I was a genius. I prefer to think the latter. Every time I got in trouble (which frankly, was kind of often back then) and went without dinner, she would sneak a dinner roll to me. I knew she always had my back. I remember Samantha always being incredibly patient. I "risked" her life a few times (see below) but she never held it against me, which I appreciate immensely. I feel like Sam and I can relate well these days, especially since the younger ones are in their "terrible teens" (the early-mid teens). Sam is talented and smart, probably smarter than me. She consistently gets 4.0s and is involved in so many extra-curricular activities, work and AP classes, that I am surprised she hasn't had a mental breakdown yet. She has more drive than me and I really respect that about her. Sam could probably do anything and be successful at it. I'd bet my money she'll be the family doctor. 



This is Saige. She is 15. She is also in high school, which frankly scares me a little. I feel like I was just in her place not too long ago, and it makes me feel old. She is also a cheerleader. When we were little, Saige and I fought. A lot. I'm not entirely sure why, but it probably has something to do with her extraordinary physical prowess. My dad used to call her names that varied from "Thunder Thighs" (she was a very cute, pleasantly plump toddler) to "Speedy Gonzalez." In short, she was very active (still is) and surprisingly strong. I remember chasing her (and vice versa) many many times, to the dismay of my mom. One time, I think she even bit me, although I'll admit it was provoked. She and I shared a room for a while, which in retrospect was the worst idea/combination of the family at the time. 



These days, Saige has really grown up. She and I really connect, perhaps because of our lack of complete dedication to music, which seems to take up a lot of Sam and Shenae's time. Saige is incredibly caring, which I immensely admire. I remember when she was little, she would be dropped off at Grandpa's house to be babysat for a few hours while Sam and I were at school. Every time, without fail, she would be thoughtful enough to take a few extra Tootsie Rolls and keep them in her sweaty little palms until we got home. There was a similar experience when I was in second grade and was denied school lunch due to insufficient funds. My mom, upset and angry with the administration headed straight to the principal's office after I tearily explained the situation over the phone. Saige was with her, and I remember she had half a quesadilla in her hand for me. With Saige, I can share my guilty pleasures without feeling guilty, such as Justin Bieber and our former infatuation with the Twilight series. She is also a Daddy's Girl to the max. Whenever there is a choice, my dad always chooses her to go with him to sporting events, which is just fine by the rest of us. I'm glad my dad has someone, since the poor guy only has girls. 


This is Shenae. Also known as Nae Nae. She is 12 and the baby of the family. She also plays violin and her commitment to music is incredible. Shenae and I never really fought, because of our huge age gap. I guess we all kind of pick on her a little, but she is also babied by our parents to make up for it. Shenae is our go-to person. She will always be the person who will fill up your water cup or grab the Redbox DVD from upstairs, much to her disgust. 

Shenae has always been the littlest in her age group. One time, she fell in the toilet at a Burger King, and I remember being the first person alerted to the emergency. I was so incredulous and doubled up in laughter that I was completely ineffectual in fetching a clean pair of underwear for her. 

Shenae is really sweet. I remember she would miss me the most whenever I would go away for an extended  period of time at debate camp, college, trips, etc. She always had the creative idea in welcoming me home with handmade signs plastered on my door, which I always appreciated. 




No comments:

Post a Comment